Chicken cordon bleu is one of those meal-in-one dishes, which appeals to my family’s tastes in different ways.
The recipe may sound fancy, but it's not hard to make. Simply pound boneless chicken breast halves and top each with prosciutto and mozzarella cheese. Roll up the chicken pieces, dredge in breadcrumbs, and bake. This lightened version of Chicken Cordon Bleu remains tres dé licieuse despite a modest amount of butter.
Fix mashed potatoes and a side of green beans while the chicken bakes.
- 1/4 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 5 teaspoons butter, melted
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 4 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 thin slices prosciutto (about 2 ounces)
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese Cooking spray.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Place broth in a small microwave-safe bowl; microwave at high 15 seconds or until warm. Stir in butter and garlic.
- Combine breadcrumbs, Parmigiano-Reggiano, and paprika in a medium shallow bowl; set aside.
- Place each chicken breast half between 2 sheets of heavy-duty plastic wrap, and pound each to 1/4-inch thickness using a meat mallet or rolling pin. Sprinkle both sides of chicken with salt, oregano, and pepper.
- Top each breast half with 1 slice of prosciutto and 1 tablespoon mozzarella. Roll up each breast half jelly-roll fashion. Dip each roll in chicken broth mixture; dredge in breadcrumb mixture. Place rolls seam side down, in an 8-inch square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Pour remaining broth mixture over chicken.
- Bake at 350° for 28 minutes or until juices run clear, and tops are golden.
- Make sure you serve this lovely meal on a shiny modern rectangular plate and enjoy.
Calories: 297 (30% from fat), Fat: 9.9g (sat 4.4g,mono 3.6g,poly 1g), Protein: 45.5g Carbohydrate: 3.8g, Fiber: 0.5g, Cholesterol: 125mg, Iron: 1.9mg, Sodium: 619mg, Calcium: 94mg
Dinner never tasted so good!
My chicken cordon bleu is baked, not fried, so you can feel good about giving this delicious meal to your family. Serve with some mashed potatoes and a green veggie for a balanced meal your family will ask for again and again.