Chicago Deep Dish Pizza
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 package dry yeast (about 2 1/4 teaspoons)
- 1 cup warm water (100° to 110°)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 12.38 ounces all-purpose flour (about 2 3/4 cups), divided
- 1/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Cooking spray
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 2 precooked mild Italian chicken sausages (about 6 ounces), casings removed, chopped
- 1 (28-ounce) can whole tomatoes, drained
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 cups thinly sliced mushrooms (about 6 ounces)
- 3/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 3/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
- Dissolve sugar and yeast in warm water in a large bowl; let stand for 5 minutes. Stir in olive oil.
- Weigh or lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine 11.25 ounces (about 2 1/2 cups) flour, cornmeal, and salt in a bowl. Stir flour mixture into yeast mixture until dough forms a ball. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic (about 5 minutes); add enough of remaining flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, to prevent dough from sticking to hands (dough will feel sticky).
- Place dough in a large bowl coated with cooking spray, turning to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 45 minutes or until doubled in size. (Gently press two fingers into dough. If indentation remains, the dough has risen enough.) Punch dough down; cover and let rest 5 minutes. Roll dough into an 11 x 15–inch rectangle on a lightly floured surface. Place dough in a 13 x 9–inch baking dish coated with cooking spray; press dough up sides of the dish. Spread 1 1/2 cups cheese evenly over dough. Arrange chopped sausage evenly over cheese.
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Chop tomatoes; place in a sieve. Stir in oregano and basil; drain tomato mixture 10 minutes.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add mushrooms to pan; cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in bell peppers; cook for 8 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Arrange vegetables over sausage; spoon tomato mixture evenly over vegetables and sausage. Sprinkle evenly with remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Bake at 400° for 25 minutes or until crust browns and cheese bubbles. Cool 5 minutes before cutting.