Naked Cakes are a popular alternative to the traditional wedding cake's fondant and frills. A naked cake is layered and unfrosted on the outside, personalized with fruits, flowers or cake toppers. We love the pure elegance and simplicity.
Instead of paying a fortune for a fancy cake, invite friends or family to help you make your own. Smarty has all the cake accessories you need to ensure your cake table is as gorgeous as can be! Naked cakes look amazing on our silverplated cake stands and pair nicely with our Venetian plates and napkins. Of course we have a lot of other plate and napkin options as well, but this is our favorite wedding cake combo! The final touch: a beautiful bloom pressed into the front base of the cake.
What you need:
White Cake (makes 5-6 layers)
- 4 cups sugar
- 2 cup butter
- 8 eggs
- 4 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 6 cups flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 1/4 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 1/4 cups half & half
- 2 cups butter, softened
- 2 tsp clear vanilla extract
- 8 cups confectioners sugar
- 2 Tbsp milk
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour 8" or 9" round cake pans. We split our batter into 6 layers just in case one layer didn't come out right.
- Cream together butter and sugar on medium speed.
- Add eggs.
- In a separate bowl, mix flour, salt, and baking soda. Add mixture to the butter and sugar and stir well.
- Mix batter until smooth and divide equally into prepared pans.
- Bake 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Allow cakes to cool in their pans before removing.
- Cream together butter and sugar.
- Add vanilla.
- Add one cup of sugar at a time while mixing on medium speed.
- Beat until light and fluffy.
- Using a sharp knife trim the edges around each layer of cake.
- Shave the top layer of each bottom cake layer so that they stack nicely on each other.
- One by one, place each layer on cake stand, generously icing in between each layer.
- Complete with flowers, fruit, or cake topper.