Peach Pies in a Jar
Prep Time: 30 minutes Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes Servings: 4 (4 oz.) jar pies
- 1 box Pillsbury refrigerated pie crusts (2 crusts)
- 4 large, ripe (but not mushy) peaches, peeled, pitted and sliced
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg (optional)
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch (or ground instant tapioca) sugar for top of pies (turbinado, or raw sugar, works well for this) toppings as desired
- 4 (4 oz.) wide-mouth canning jars
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Allow pie crusts to sit at room temperature 10 minutes before using. Meanwhile, clean and dry the jars. Unroll the first crust on a cutting board and cut into quarters. Fit one quarter into each of the jars, pressing crust to fit upsides and along the bottom of each jar.
- In a large bowl, combine peach slices, sugar, lemon juice, salt, vanilla, cornstarch, and nutmeg (optional). Let sit 5 to 10 minutes until peaches are juicy.
- Meanwhile, cut 4 circles from the second crust, each approximately the same size as the mouth of the jars. Cut each circle into strips.
- Using your fingers, place peach slices into the jars, layering to fit as many as possible in each. Spoon a Tbsp of the liquid from the bowl over the peaches in each jar.
- Using the lattice pie crust technique (weaving basket-style), add strips to the top of pies. Gently wet the strips and sprinkle with sugar.
- Place jar-pies on a baking sheet and place it in a preheated 400-degree oven. Bake for 20 minutes, then reduce heat to 350 and bake an additional 10 to 15 minutes. Remove pies to a cooling rack and cool completely before serving.
- Topping suggestions: Whipped cream dusted with nutmeg or cinnamon, cinnamon ice cream, vanilla bean ice cream, peach syrup, or mashed berries.
- Note: The canning-jar covers can be used to transport these pies to a picnic or potluck, or even give them out as favors at a birthday party or wedding!