This creamy zucchini soup is a tasty way to use up the summer squash. This is my favorite summer soup. And I’m a huge soup fan, so that’s saying a lot.
Prep and Cook Time: 45 minutes. Yield: Makes 4 to 6 servings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 pounds zucchini, sliced 1/4 in. thick
- 4 cups reduced-sodium or homemade chicken broth
- 1 cup loosely packed basil leaves, washed and stemmed, plus more for garnish
- 2 tablespoons crème fraîche (see Notes), plus more for garnish
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder, plus more for garnish
- Kosher salt
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add zucchini and cook another 2 minutes; then add chicken broth and 1 cup basil leaves. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook 20 minutes.
- Purée the soup in batches in a blender. Pour the soup through a strainer into a bowl, using a ladle to push any solid bits through. Add 2 tbsp. crème fraîche and 1/4 tsp. chili powder. Season with salt to taste.
- Divide soup among bowls and garnish each with some crème fraîche, a sprinkle of chili powder, and a few basil leaves.
Notes: If you can't find crème fraîche, just use sour cream.
Nutritional Information Calories:101 (45% from fat) Protein:5.5g Fat:5g (sat 1.7) Carbohydrate:11g Fiber:2.5g Sodium:440mg Cholesterol:4.7mg