It's never too early in the day for tequila if you disguise it in a cupcake!
- 3 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter (unsalted)
- 4 eggs
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3 limes (zested and juiced)
- 2 cups sugar
- 8 egg whites
- 1 ½ cups (3 sticks) butter (unsalted)
- 2 ½ tbsp lime juice (freshly squeezed)
- pinch of coarse salt
- 2-4 tbsp tequila
(Makes 2 dozen)
1. Preheat oven to 325˚ F and prepare 2 cupcake pans with cupcake liners.
2. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt.
3. With a KitchenAid (or any type of mixer), use the paddle attachment on medium-high to mix together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. (takes approximately 3-5 minutes).
4. Beat in the eggs, one at a time.
5. Add the lime zest, lime juice, and vanilla.
6. Put mixer on low speed and alternate between pouring in dry ingredients and buttermilk.
7. Fill each cupcake liner about ¾ full. 8. Bake for approximately 20-24 minutes. Let cool.
1. Combine sugar, egg whites, and salt in a bowl and place it over a pot of simmering water.
2. Whisk frequently and keep on heat until sugar is dissolved.
3. Place mixture into KitchenAid and mix on medium-high with whisk attachment. Beat until stiff and then let cool.
4. On medium speed, add butter (in increments).
5. Continue to beat mixture until thick and smooth (about 3-5 minutes).
6. Add lime juice and tequila. Frost your cupcakes. Then cut limes into slices and place one slice on each. Fiesta time!