Creamy Basil Zucchini Soup
One spoonful of this soup, and you'll be begging for the entire pot! This Creamy Basil Zucchini Soup is an exceptional way to prepare summer's most bountiful squash - zucchini. This is my favorite summer soup, and I’m a huge soup fan, so that’s saying a lot.
Prep and Cook Time: 45 minutes. Yield: Makes 4 to 6 servings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 pounds zucchini, sliced 1/4 in. thick
- 4 cups reduced-sodium or homemade chicken broth
- 1 cup loosely packed basil leaves, washed and stemmed, plus more for garnish
- 2 tablespoons crème fraîche (see Notes), plus more for garnish
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder, plus more for garnish
- Kosher salt
How to make Zucchini soup - Step by step
Step 1: Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add zucchini and cook another 2 minutes; then add chicken broth and 1 cup basil leaves. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook 20 minutes.
Step 2: Purée the soup in batches in a blender. Pour the soup through a strainer into a bowl, using a ladle to push any solid bits through. Add 2 tbsp. crème fraîche and 1/4 tsp. chili powder. Season with salt to taste.
Step 3: Divide soup among bowls and garnish each with some crème fraîche, a sprinkle of chili powder, and a few basil leaves.
- The Twist: Dress It Up. We love the simplicity of this soothing, mild soup, but to make it a little fancier, skip garnishing the soup with crème fraîche, chili powder, and basil in step 3, and instead halve 1 roasted red bell pepper, removing seeds and stem. Slice half into ribbons. Put the other half in a blender and purée with 1/2 cup crème fraîche or sour cream. Strain into a bowl then drizzles over soup. Top with bell pepper ribbons and toasted pine nuts.
Notes: If you can't find crème fraîche, just use sour cream.
Nutritional Information Calories:101 (45% from fat) Protein:5.5g Fat:5g (sat 1.7) Carbohydrate:11g Fiber:2.5g Sodium:440mg Cholesterol:4.7mg