Healthy Yet Insanely Delicious Soup Recipe
Creamy Roasted Red Pepper Soup
- 1 stick (1/4 lb.) unsalted butter
- 6 onions, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 (14 oz.) cans Italian plum tomatoes with their juice
- 4 (13.75 oz.) cans chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 (15 oz.) can crushed tomatoes
- 4 (7 oz.) jars roasted red peppers, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Pernod or other anise-flavored liqueur, optional
- 1 tablespoon of fresh thyme leaves, plus more for garnish
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup of sour cream
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
Step 1: In a Dutch oven or other large, heavy pot, melt butter over medium heat.
Step 2: Add onions and cook, stirring, until softened, about 10 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add plum tomatoes and their juice, chicken broth, and crushed tomatoes; bring to a boil; then simmer for 5 minutes. Add red peppers, Pernod (if using), thyme, salt, and pepper; bring to a boil; then simmer for 5 minutes longer.
Step 3: In a bowl, stir together sour cream and lemon peel. Cover and refrigerate.
Step 4: Strain soup into a large bowl.
Step 5: Puree strained solids in batches in a blender or food processor, adding soup liquid to blend. Strain again over the same bowl and discard solids.
Step 6: Wipeout Dutch oven, add soup and bring to a simmer.
Step 7: Strain soup into a serving bowl, dollop sour cream on top and garnish with thyme.
This soup stores beautifully and tastes better the second day. You can keep it in the refrigerator as long as you bring it to a boil every two days. Or you can stash it in the freezer for up to three months.