Famous Chicago Style Deep Dish Pizza
Deep-dish pizza has a long history in the city of Chicago, where it's revered as a delicious native invention. And what makes Chicago-style pizza so damn amazing? The answer is everything. Every little detail about this delicious pizza is special. But there's no need to travel all the way to Chicago for this incredible Delicious And Famous Chicago Style Deep Dish Pizza recipe when you can make it at home! Such a fun way to enjoy family time and America’s favorite food!
Ingredients You Need For Chicago-Style Deep Dish Pizza:
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 package dry yeast (about 2 1/4 teaspoons)
- 1 cup warm water (100° to 110°)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 12.38 ounces all-purpose flour (about 2 3/4 cups), divided
- 1/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Cooking spray
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 2 precooked mild Italian chicken sausages (about 6 ounces), casings removed, chopped
- 1 (28-ounce) can whole tomatoes, drained
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 cups thinly sliced mushrooms (about 6 ounces)
- 3/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 3/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
How To Make Chicago-Style Deep Dish Pizza:
- Dissolve sugar and yeast in warm water in a large bowl; let stand for 5 minutes. Stir in olive oil.
- Weigh or lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine 11.25 ounces (about 2 1/2 cups) flour, cornmeal, and salt in a bowl. Stir flour mixture into yeast mixture until dough forms a ball. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic (about 5 minutes); add enough of remaining flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, to prevent dough from sticking to hands (dough will feel sticky).
- Place dough in a large bowl coated with cooking spray, turning to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 45 minutes or until doubled in size. (Gently press two fingers into dough. If indentation remains, the dough has risen enough.) Punch dough down; cover and let rest 5 minutes. Roll dough into an 11 x 15–inch rectangle on a lightly floured surface. Place dough in a 13 x 9–inch baking dish coated with cooking spray; press dough up sides of the dish. Spread 1 1/2 cups cheese evenly over dough. Arrange chopped sausage evenly over cheese.
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Chop tomatoes; place in a sieve. Stir in oregano and basil; drain tomato mixture 10 minutes.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add mushrooms to pan; cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in bell peppers; cook for 8 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Arrange vegetables over sausage; spoon tomato mixture evenly over vegetables and sausage. Sprinkle evenly with remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Bake at 400° for 25 minutes or until crust browns and cheese bubbles. Cool 5 minutes before cutting.
We love you Chicago and your pizza too! Much Party Love from Smarty had a Party!