- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 8 ounces Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, finely shredded
- 3 ounces salmon roe or caviar (3 tablespoons)
Directions 1. For creme fraiche:
In a small saucepan heat whipping cream over low heat until warm (90 degree F to 100 degree F). Pour into a small clean jar. Stir in buttermilk, screw on jar lid, and let the mixture stand at room temperature for 24 to 30 hours or until thickened. Do not stir. Store, covered, in the refrigerator up to 1 week.
2. Place a mounded tablespoon of cheese onto a nonstick cookie sheet; pat into a 2-inch circle. Repeat with remaining cheese, allowing 2 inches between circles. Bake one cookie sheet at a time in a 400 degree F oven for 3-1/2 to 4 minutes or until bubbly and lightly golden. Cool on cookie sheet about 1 minute. Remove with a spatula and gently drape over inverted 1-3/4-inch muffin tins to cool and stiffen into cup shapes.
3. To serve, invert cheese crisps onto serving platter and top each with a rounded tablespoon of creme fraiche and a rounded 1/4 teaspoon caviar. Serve immediately. Makes about 24 appetizers. Make-Ahead Tip: Refrigerate cheese crisps in an airtight container for up to 8 hours.
- Servings Per Recipe 24 appetizers
- Calories 68,
- Total Fat (g) 5,
- Saturated Fat (g) 2,
- Cholesterol (mg) 27,
- Sodium (mg) 141,
- Carbohydrate (g) 1,
- Fiber (g) 0,
- Protein (g) 4,